Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Recipe

You start out with two heaping cups of young love, one overflowing pint of uncontrollable passion, and a leveled tablespoon of family tradition. Beat together these first three ingredients, violently using a seasoned wooden spoon, until irreversibly well blended. To this add a sharp pinch of hatred and a dash of insanity. Mix well and stand back.

The novel, Like Water for Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel is pleasantly point-blank. I was very much impressed with the epic tale revealed and the blunt manner used. The story took place over many years and involved many characters. Laura Esquivel has this amazing talent of depicting an event that most authors may take chapters to depict in one small paragraph. She puts it right on the table for you: this is who was involved, this is what happened, the end. I wish life could be so simple.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked how you began your post.. similar to the novel. Very cool.
    I liked how you wrote about the way the author scripted the novel, which is something I noticed as I was reading but really didn't take into much consideration. I also liked how the author almost put the story on fast-forward, which made it much easier to read and get a clear point out. Good observation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novel was right to the point, unlike Love which was hard to follow. After learning that you enjoy cooking, did the cooking aspect of the novel draw you further into the story? I really like your final sentence how you use 'table' "She puts it right on the table for you: this is who was involved, this is what happened, the end. I wish life could be so simple." It is interesting to me how food and love can be so related, the incorporation of the recipes was a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you frame this as a recipe. Good observations about the writing style in general.

    ReplyDelete