Sunday, April 12, 2009

LOVE!?!??

I recently finished reading the novel by Toni Morrison, Love. What a complex story. I had heard rumor of how confusing the story was, and I was sure that I would not fall into that same pit of confusion.....but I did anyway. There was a great deal of reading a person's thoughts and not knowing who that person was or even when and who the thoughts were about. The story took place over many years and found great joy in hopping from year to year and then back again. The characters were as complex as the story. I spent most of the time just trying to understand each one and why they did what they did, said what they said, and were who they were.
The funniest aspect of my relationship with Love is that I was left wanting when I finished. I never really connected with or had much sympathy for any of the characters. In the beginning, I actually liked the grand puppeteer Mr. Cosey, but by the end, I would not have minded being the one to quietly and without remorse slip him a nice dose of foxglove. Adios Mr. Cosey, and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Having finished the novel, I feel that if I were to reread it, knowing the characters, it would all make a little more sense.
Once I finished reading, I was left with two thoughts:
1. I am eternally greatful that love in my life is so different than love in Love.
2. I wonder if I can get any money for this book at the bookstore?

2 comments:

  1. I agree, the book was difficult to read! I like how you did not care for Mr. Cosey (neither did I by the end of the book). I am also grateful that my "love" experiences have not ended up like the relationships in this novel.

    I agree that if I knew the relationships of the characters that the novel would have been much easier to read & maybe even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me the book was also confusing, but I did not think it was that terrible. What parts did you like the least? (other than Mr. Cosey). I also did not like the Mr. Cosey character. I just couldn't get past him marrying an eleven year old. The love experiences in this book were completely different from my life experiences too. I don't think I would every want to be in any kind of relationship like the ones in this story!

    ReplyDelete