Sunday, May 10, 2009

Skim, A Graphic Novel

I went to Ohio Universitie's Alden Library to check out the graphic novel, Skim. Much to my surprise, I found it in the children's section! Call me old-fashioned, but I would not let a child read this novel. The book contains very adult subject matter and language. I think that Alden needs to realize that just because there are pictures in a book, does not necessarily meen that it is a child's book.

This book was much easier for me to read than La Perdida. The images contained enough negative space to not overcrowd each page. The depth of line was simple yet informative. The story flowed nicely was easy to follow.

Unfortunately Skim had many of the same charectoristics as the female charecters from the other novels I have read this quarter. She had a low self esteem and questionable friends. She had a desire that she could not pinpoint and the fact tortured her. I must say, though, that I felt sorry for Skim while I had no feelings for Carla's situation in La Perdida.

Why do so many women have such a low self esteem?

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe they had Skim in the children's section! I agree that this is not a Children's book probably Young Adult though. I also sympathiesed with Skim, its hard being a teenager especially if you have 'low self esteem and questionable friends' although in La Perdida Carla was an adult and I think she should have known better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also really taken back that they had this book located in the children's section. The language and content in this book are found more on an adult level rather than a child.
    I agree with you that Skim was better than La Perdida. I also liked the way the pictures in Skim were produced making it much easier to follow. I was wondering if you liked how the ending went? Were you surprised by the way Ms. Archer handled the "relationship" between her & Skim?

    ReplyDelete